BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Friday, June 19, 2009

Our Araviapa Canyon trip...


So beautiful - one of the best kept secrets around here! Who knew there was so much water only an hour from our house?? There is no trail - only a stream to follow - you are in and out of it constantly. I told the kids how lucky they are - their mom let them walk in all this water and mud and didn't yell at them once! They only let in 50 people per day - permit only. We were quite lucky to get the permits we needed.

The canyon is 11 miles from end to end. I would have loved to have seen the whole thing, but with kids it just wasn't possible. Caitlin wasn't quite as dedicated to seeing the whole thing as the rest of us were! We did see an old homestead from the 1800s. Not much left, but very cool.




This is where we camped our first night. It doesn't look comfortable - but it was - thank goodness for Thermarest! It was nice sleeping along the stream - so peaceful. Though of course, the first night I woke up and saw a squirrel on Caitlin's backpack. My bright light scared him off! There was almost a full moon that night and it never did get very dark.










This is where we camped our second night - less rocky, more sandy. We used tents that second night because it was just a tad cold the night before without them.
I'm dying to go back!

1 comments:

Leslie said...

This looks like a lot of fun (as does your Greer trip, too). It would be fun to go camping with you guys sometime. You do fun stuff. (Could I say fun one more time?)