BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, November 17, 2008

It's just not at exciting as it seems around here!

Caitlin told me the last time I updated this blog that I always make our life sound way more exciting than it is. Really? I thought that I was just telling it like it is. Of course, then Rik had to say that he thought that our life seemed uninteresting through reading the blog. Hmmm...

In uninteresting - or depending on who you are, interesting news, I've been doing a few "pioneer woman" type things around here. (Don't ask why - Christmas is on it's way and I have a huge list, but am messing with this other kind of stuff). I finally had the mequite beans from our yard milled. The ones that I made the kids go out and pick up every morning last summer. I have made pancakes and chocolate chip cookies out of the flour. I'm planning on making muffins in the morning. The kids groan everytime I mention that they are enjoying what they helped harvest! :p I have about 11 lbs of flour right now. Very exciting! Esp when I paid about $1/lb to have it milled and it's about $14 /lb to buy it. I would show you a picture of the hammermill, but I took it with my phone and can't seem to get the pictures off of it. I think I need to ask the people at Verizon how. I've had the phone since the end of July - you'd think I'd have figured it out by now!

In other "pioneer" type activities - I subscribe to a daily cooking newsletter. The other day they sent a newsletter out on making your own household cleaners. They promised a better cleaning job, less impact on the enviroment, safer for your family, and saving money. What more could a girl ask for?! I was curious as to if the homemade laundry soap worked - the ingredients were pretty cheap - so - I tried. I didn't take a picture of this either - goopy light yellow stuff didn't make the most appealing photograph. But - the good news is that it was easy and I have now done one load of laundry with it and the clothes appear to be clean! I'll keep you posted as to how it goes on the rest of this huge bucket of stuff I have made! Of course, depending on if you are Rik or Caitlin will probably show if you will read the update to this! :p

2 comments:

Leslie said...

You *are* Pioneer Woman! That's so cool. I never even thought of collecting mesquite beans, much less finding out how to get them milled. I'd love an update on the laundry soap. I've seen a few recipes and they all look so gross!
Les.

sheila said...

so I have a website for you! It is recipiezaar. I love it! It has recipies for everything including household. A few laundry detergents liquid and powder. I was really excited!

I am impressed by the mesquite bean flour. That is above and beyond awesome!