In fact, I think his career is wrecked before it began! He had his appendix out on Sunday morning (this being the reason I am more behind in blog posting than I thought that I would be!).
Sunday
3:00 am - Rik wakes up with horrible ab pains. He had them on Sat, but now they are worse.
4:15am - We arrive at ER.
4:30am - The triage nurse sees us. She tells us it might be a wait because the new shift doesn't come on until 7am. I look at ER waiting room. Sum total of 3 people waiting. Glad I am not here for heart problems.
4:35-7:05am - Rik is miserable and I read a book. Actually, I also freeze because it's 27ยบ out (the first time this year) and the 2nd door in the ERs double sliding doors doesn't seem to be working. We are sitting quite a ways away from it, but it doesn't seem to matter. I also watch man vacuum ER.
7:05am - Rik's name is finally called.
7:10am - Finish book. Wish I had another one.
7:15am - Rik is seen by ER doc who tells him he probably has appendicitis, but wants a CT scan to make sure. Read all about the author at the back of my book.
7:30am - I try to call my house to tell kids where we are. Phone rings and rings and rings and rings. I call in-laws to go prod children out of bed and tell them where we are. Look for magazine in ER. Don't find one.
8:30am - Rik goes in for CT scan. I wish for another book to appear out of no where.
9:30am - ER doctor confirms the appendicitis. Tells us the surgeon should be in shortly. I wish there were an expired magazine to look at.
11:00am - Surgeon schedules surgery for 2pm. Tells us that Rik will be moved to a room. I have had more than enough of bad ER TV and no food by this time. Wishing I hadn't read my book so fast.
12:00pm - I call in-laws and tell them the news.
12:30pm - Caitlin and MIL show up with some lunch for me and my deoderant!!!!! (Who would have guessed I would love it so much??? It just wasn't something I was thinking about at 3:30am when I got up!!!) Too bad they didn't bring a book as well! At least the food kept me entertained for a while!
2:00pm - Rik is moved to the surgical ward. Unfortunately must wait for old lady needing a hip to be operated on first.
5:00pm - Rik goes to surgery. I run home to get his toothbrush. And pick up another book!!!
6:05pm - Surgeon tells me that Rik is fine and that "it was definately his appendix". This cracks me up. That was what we were going for wasn't it??!!!
6:45pm - Surgical nurse comes and tells me that they are moving him to a regular room, but must wait for shift change.
7:00pm - Finally - he's made it to his room. More bad TV. He's looking at me with one eye open as well and kind of drifts a bit.
8:00pm - I decide I should go home and see kids today and let Rik sleep. He looks pretty loopy.
Yes, that was one looooonnnnnngggg day!
He's doing fine now. We went home about 3pm the next day (after he was told he would go home in the morning and I showed up to wait with him w/o a book - you think I would have learned!!!!
The picture is of his breakfast they had served him right before I got there the next morning. Let's see, he just had surgery so let's feed him *bacon* and *biscuits and gravy*! And for lunch there was salisbury steak and mashed potatoes. Who was making this menu?? Wouldn't jello have been a better option???



6 comments:
Oh no! What a LONG day. Sorry you didn't have better food and another book or two. If I'd been in town I would've brought you some! I've often wondered about the hospital menus. DUMB.
Les.
Glad you both survived the hospital! I hope Rick is on the mend and feeling better soon!
Wow... sounds like an adventure
Glad to hear that Rik is on the mend! And the whole speedo thing . . . well, I don't think they even look good on Michael Phelps. Maybe he could find something else to model--like Prana, Black Diamond, or some other climbing company's gear and clothing that would cover an abdominal scar!
whoa I havn't read in a while. Christmas is a busy season. We are all hoping Ric feels better soon. Maybe you should bring the story of Madiline to him and read it so he feels better and you have a book!!
First thing I thought of when I saw that pic- he looks just like Phillip! It's probably the expression- the same "are you kidding" look that Phillip gives me every Sunday when I ask him to do something in primary.
And... please, we all know that a few little scars won't stop Rik from prancing around in his g-strings.
Post a Comment